Friday, September 14, 2012

Darwin Falls

Darwin Falls
Death Valley National Park

September 2010

Another trip to Mount Whitney ended without a summit. Wildfires in the area made breathing along the trail almost impossible. The picture below is a little hazy due to the smoke in the area:


Since I was driving back to Las Vegas a day early, I decided to spend some time in Death Valley despite the 124F degree temperature. Since I didn't have a plan, I stopped at a convenience store in Panamint Springs to inquire about local hiking trails. Two young men working at the store recommended Darwin Falls. I had already passed the turnoff for the falls and they explained that Eco-Terrorists keep removing the signs to limit the number of hikers to protect the unique wildlife surrounding the falls. 

Between the oppressive heat and my rental car, I can't help but wonder if they thought they were sending me to my death:


The beginning of the trail and it doesn't matter that it's a dry heat, it was brutal to be out:



Adaption is amazing as this lizard was on a rock that I could barely touch without burning my finger:



All of a sudden, the valley turns into a narrow canyon full of  greenery:


The trail becomes more of a wilderness scramble:


and a rock scramble:


The first glimpse of Darwin Falls:


It's hard to find a good spot to view the falls:


After returning home, I researched the falls and learned that the falls I viewed were actually only the lower falls at approximately 20ft. Darwin Falls includes a 60ft. upper falls that can be viewed after some rock climbing. Even if I knew about the upper falls, I don't think I would have attempted the rock scramble considering the desert heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment