Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Grayson Highlands State Park, Virginia

June 2006

Kellisa started her summer vacation with a father/daughter camping trip to Grayson Highlands State Park, Virginia.

Kellisa playing at the campsite:

Kellisa at Massive Gap with Little Pinnacle in the background:
Kellisa practicing her "letters":

Mountainside:

Kellisa waiting, as I find a way up the trail:

The actual summit is a little higher:

The end of the trail:

Summit of Little Pinnacle:

View from the top:

One of the trails leading to Virginia's Highpoint has a trailhead in the park. I was hopeful, but the route is one of the few true alpine trails in the east, so I was unable to get Kellisa to the top of Virginia. During this trip, I came up with the idea of getting Kellisa as close as possible to all the Highpoints we would not be able to summit together. I was making the rules for what I believe to be a unique approach to the Highpoints.
Mountains in the distance:

An overview in the fog:

We went for a several mile hike on the nearby Virginia Creeper Trail. I'm hoping to someday return with Kellisa and complete the entire 35 mile trail through the mountains.

2 comments:

  1. obviously the stories are great, but the silhouette photo of you and K is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really adore this idea of taking Kellisa to all of the nation's high points. Really great.

    ReplyDelete