Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Kellisa's 1st Kayak Adventure



Lake Oneida
UNF Campus- Jax, FL
March 2007
Grandma was visiting from Chicago and Lisa wanted to visit the outlet malls in St. Augustine. I asked Kellisa if she wanted to go shopping with mom and grandma or go out and have fun with dad. If she picked shopping, we wouldn't have a blog entry. To this point in time, Lisa did not allow me to take Kellisa kayaking...something to do with the 1,000,000+ alligators that call Florida home. Oh yeah, and they view kids as meals. Lisa asked what I had planned before leaving and I claimed I did not know yet.

As soon as they were out the door and around the corner, I loaded the kayak on the roof and packed the Pilot with all the gear we would need for an afternoon of fun. We had to make a quick stop to buy Kellisa a PFD. I knew I was risking serious trouble, but I had kayaked 32 miles across the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia and had several kayak trips to the Everglades on my resume. I was 100% confident in my ability to take Kellisa kayaking and return her home without serious incident.

I selected Lake Oneida on the campus of UNF because I was familiar with the area due to hiking the trails surrounding the lake on several occasions. It was a small lake, so we would always be close to land. Plus, it was a popular campus with students always within shouting distance. The hardest part of the trip was getting a 65# kayak, all the gear and Kellisa in her travel wheelchair to the edge of the lake to start the adventure. As predicted, Kellisa absolutely loved kayaking!






I was more worried about Kellisa losing her glasses than alligators. The water was clear and I scanned the area before allowing Kellisa to splash some water. What you don't see is the paddle in one hand while the other snaps this picture.

We arrived home before mom and grandma. We even had time to unload and hide all the evidence. However, I wanted to share what we did that day hoping it would lead to more kayaking trips. When Lisa arrived home she asked what we had done. I answered with a slideshow and Lisa admitted that she knew I was going to take Kellisa kayaking. Being the ever supportive wife/mother...she did not stop or discourage me. When we got to the splashing picture she did say with some entusiam "YOU LET HER PLAY IN THE WATER"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment